Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sloe not Slow Gin

Ages ago I made Sloe Gin, embracing traditions of the English country side as I do. So here is the process and pictures along the way. I can't wait to taste it!

1. Pick the Sloe Berries which are the fruit of the Blackthorn bush. Apparently it's best to pick them after the first frost. I picked mine from bushes along the edge of the local rec ground.



 2. Freeze the Sloes.
 3. Once the Sloes are all frozen gather together:
     -Clean empty bottles (with lids)
     -Cheap Gin (I chose Tesco's Finest)
     -White Sugar
     -The Sloe Berries
     -Measuring cup
 4. I used my boss' recipe which is 1/3 Gin, 1/3 Sloe, 1/3 Sugar. I also used 750mL wine bottles so based on my High School mathematics that is roughly 1 cup of sloes in each bottle, then 1 cup of sugar, then 1 cup of gin/ just fill the rest of the bottle up with gin.



 5. Then you shake, rattle and roll, mix it all up and try to dissolve the sugar.


 6. Now for the really sneaky (thanks boss) part, just stick the bottles in a bain-marie. Bring water to the boil in a pot, stick the bottles in and leave the water on a low heat, this dissolves all the sugar and saves on months of daily bottle shaking.

7. Leave the Sloe Gin to develop flavour etc... I haven't actually tried mine yet but will be taking a bottle to London to get crunk with my ex-travelling companions. To be fair we aren't fussy but I'm thinking it will be a taste sensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment